Reporting to the Director, Bauxite Lands, the principal responsibilities
of the Senior Scientific Officer, shall be:
• To study and have working knowledge of all legislation, or
individual agreements between the Government of Jamaica and
the bauxite/alumina companies, and any other agencies,
pertaining to the use of bauxite-bearing lands prior to, during
and after mining.
• To have working knowledge of the procedures to implement
the requirements of legislation or agreements under item
above, and to monitor same in order to protect the best
interests of the country.
• To prepare, maintain, and regularly update an efficient land
data bank of bauxite lands in Jamaica, containing, inter alia,
property ownership, location data, acreages, land use,
valuations and related financial information.
• To coordinate with the bauxite companies, as well as
Government agencies such as the Commissioner of Mines,
Commissioner of Lands, the Ministry of Agriculture, the Town
Planning Department, the various Parish Councils, etc., in all
land use planning in bauxite-bearing areas.
• To develop, encourage, and coordinate the implementation
of research and development plans for the utilization of
reclaimed bauxite lands, and to promote programmes for the
optimal uses of such lands.